Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Message from the Director, Rebecca Grimes


BLOPERA COMES TO SHSU!

Definition of Blopera: (Noun) – A web log about opera at SHSU

If you had told me 20 years ago that I would be an opera director working for my alma mater, Sam Houston State University, I would have laughed.  Out loud.  In your face.  After all, I was a freshly minted accountant looking to wear a power suit and prove myself in some firm in downtown Houston.  But like most musicians, I couldn’t turn my back on this innate sense that no matter what I did, music was still a passion of mine…you might even say it was a calling.  In 1993, I didn’t know what I would do with my musical training, but I had an inkling that I wouldn’t be using it in the auditing department of a major oil and gas firm.  Luckily, other people thought I had something to offer in music, and fast forward to 2012, here I am at SHSU working to prove that opera is worth being passionate about.

Now, opera is a unique medium, and I will freely admit that most normal individuals are not immediately drawn to the art form.  (Large people screaming at you in a foreign language?  Who thought that was a good idea?)  But when you spend a little time with the music, and the people who create it, you will understand that opera is more than the prima donnas, the costumes, and the grand spectacle that is the cartoon stereotype that plagues opera in today’s society.  In its simplest form, opera is a collection of human stories that are beautifully sung.  Period.  And that is what I hope people come away with when they attend an opera performance at SHSU.

There are over 400 music majors at SHSU, with about 100 of them studying voice in a given semester.  As you can imagine, there is a lot of music being made in these two buildings, and our students and faculty work hard to create this very musically dynamic environment.  Our opera students come to SHSU with an innate sense of musicality, and they approach music-making with a team mentality.  (Isn’t that the most basic requirement of putting on an opera?  Everyone works together to create something greater than themselves?)  And in case you were wondering, the voice teachers at SHSU are phenomenal - the level of student singing here reflects that.  I have opera students who are 20 years old and can tackle music that most graduate students would be intimidated to sing – and they sing with beauty and grace and enthusiasm.  But what’s most important about the opera singers at SHSU is that even though they may not have every advantage in the world, they will work harder than anyone I know to be the best they can be.  At SHSU, that’s called having the heart of a Bearkat – and I see that every day in my students, and in the colleagues with whom I work.  (See http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T@S/2004/BearkatFacts1004.html for more information on Bearkats).  I am humbled every time I get a chance to work with these young singers, and I thank my lucky stars that SHSU was willing to take a chance on me in 2010.

When the SHSU School of Music decided to redesign its website, a colleague of mine suggested having a blog on the opera website.  So here it is – a chance to let readers experience SHSU Opera from the perspective of those who create it – the students.  And yes, we are calling it “Blopera”.  (Get it?  Blogging about opera?  Funny…right?)  With any luck, these periodic “blops” will feature students (and maybe even former students) reflecting on their experiences with the SHSU Opera program and life as an aspiring singer.  In writing this inaugural “blop”, I hope it will be one of many that will help others experience what it means to be an opera singer at SHSU, written by those who are putting their hearts and souls into becoming opera singers.  I also hope that in reading some of these students’ stories, you will be as inspired and uplifted as I have been over the past two years.

So blop on, my children…blop on…






(Pictured is the author in the middle of tech week.  Notice how she does not have to do anyone's taxes.)


No comments:

Post a Comment